Diary - Day 25




Jeremy's Pictures

Day 25 Sunday June 5th Mackinaw City MI – Sault Ste. Marie, Ont

Susan & Richard Cressy

Colin's Picture


Little did I think that the Meatloaf song 'Bat out of Hell' would be a constant reminder of MOA IV. On opening my door early morning I encountered a rather excitable bunch of MOAers tip toeing round in circles and staring up at the ceiling. No it wasn't a Native American dance or a secret Morgan ritual, it was a bat asleep and hanging from the ceiling directly outside the door strategically placed between me and the stairs!!
Ken Wightman and Jane Halliday were vying to take the best close up picture of the docile bat. However a couple of camera flashes later and it was a different story, the bat flew straight for the door and as it passed through I darted the opposite way breaking Linford Christie's record for the 100 metres. Fortunately it only entered the outer hallway door and didn't mange to reach Richard or Ben in their inner sanctums who were blissfully unaware of the commotion outside. Judy and I of course reacted like any red blooded female and screamed our way to safety.


After a leisurely breakfast with Trudy, Steve and finally Richard, who was always late for breakfast, we made our way to the ferry, which was to take us across to Macinac Island. This was a bracing trip with entertainment provided by Alan who was giving us a first class impersonation of an air hostess, miming the instructions that the ferry captain was issuing. The first striking view of the island was of the lovely with the Grand Hotel in all its resplendent glory and the Fort to the right just above the bay. The Governor's mansion, situated to the right of the fort and the town itself, was small and quaint giving you a strong feeling of stepping back in time. It was amusing to see bell boys from hotels looking like acrobats balancing several cases in large baskets on the front of their bicycles and ferrying them backwards and forwards whilst the owners of the luggage were transported in horse drawn carriages to their accommodation.
Richard and I deliberated whether to hire a bike or take the carriage ride across the island, five minutes later we were in the queue for the 09.15 trip in a carriage made for twelve! We ambled through the picturesque village and up towards the Grand Hotel, before stopping for half an hour for some to visit the butterfly house and for others to peruse the gift shops and have a coffee. Unfortunately the heavens opened just as Jacob arrived to take us on the second part of our journey through the woods, past the graveyards and small church. His comic patter certainly kept our mind off the awful weather, we particularly enjoyed the history relating to the battle won by the English troops on the island and he kept the dozen or so eleven year old students in our carriage amused, until they alighted at the Fort. We decided not to accompany them but to walk the rest of the way back to the village and find a suitable location for our mid morning snack.
While Colin and Callie went on a bike ride Richard and I wandered around the village and encountered a young American fudge maker who supported Newcastle United. His bride hailed from Newcastle and he was pleased to be able to chat about the state of the Premiership and Manchester United being taken over by the American Michael Glazer, whilst demonstrating his special fudge making skills. I meanwhile, had a marathon tasting session before purchasing a block of the traditional fudge as a present for my Mum.
We decided to take the 13.00 boat back as the weather was so changeable and we had to make our way to the Canadian border, later that afternoon. As luck would have it the weather changed to unbelievably hot and some of the drivers were passing out with the heat, notably Richard who took advantage of a hold up in the queue for the border to remove his side screens and ventilate the car.

Following Jeremy through the border control, we were all stopped and asked to go inside and submit our passports, this fortunately didn't take long and we were soon on our way to Sault St Marie and Day’s Inn Hotel. The hotel had no air conditioning, no laundry, and we didn't like our room on the ground floor immediately opposite the pool. The management however, were very quick to respond and moved us to a lovely second floor room with a balcony allowing us to enjoy the cooler air outside. After drinks and meeting in the cellar bar we walked to a recommended restaurant on the water front sat outside and enjoyed the view and the company of at least twenty five fellow MOAers!
Fortunately this was a two night stop over so we were able to enjoy the luxury of a later than usual bed time as we didn't have to be up at the crack of dawn. I took the opportunity of catching up with friends and family via e mail while Richard remained outside chatting to several of the interested locals and security men who were keeping an eagle eye on the cars. And so to bed, Richard and I strolled back to the hotel through the car park and were introduced to the quaint Canadian custom of water bombing by Lynne - Rod was sleeping - who either needs to practise her aim or was generously aiming to miss us?

  Main Page Diary Index Picture Index